Contracts Module

rfthomas
We are trying to use the contracts module based on how we normally quote projects.

We generally have a payment schedule, e.g. 50% with order, 30% upon delivery and 20% upon acceptance.  As part of the project there are items sold, that are manufactured in house or purchased and shipped to the customer.  We need to create shipping papers and track the shipments against the contract properly allocating costs to the contract.  Additionally, there is not a fixed markup on every item.  For some projects we must insure that the customer receives the previously negotiates prices for the hardware purchased.

How can such be accomplished in webERP?  Possibly we do not understand the concept being used in the contracts sub-system.

Bob Thomas

Re: Contracts Module

phildaintree
Hi Bob,

There is no progress billing option.... what you can do is invoice 0.5
for 50% of the contract and then 0.3 for 30% etc. The contract creation
creates a unique item for the contract that is made up from all the
components both stock and other stuff that is purchased for it.

I am thinking if someone is prepared to back me I would not mind getting
stuck into beefing this contract area up quite a bit. I want to
recongnise revenue on the basis of percentage completion, with project
reviews and multi-stage projects with completion dates and inquiries
from the project to see issues of materials and purchase orders etc.
Invoicing that posts to progress billings and debtors and the turnover
recognised on the basis of % completion doing the leg to DR progress
billings and CR turnover.

Logic Works Ltd - +64 (0)275 567890
http://www.logicworks.co.nz

On 03/11/15 11:04, rfthomas wrote:

> We are trying to use the contracts module based on how we normally quote
> projects.
>
> We generally have a payment schedule, e.g. 50% with order, 30% upon delivery
> and 20% upon acceptance.  As part of the project there are items sold, that
> are manufactured in house or purchased and shipped to the customer.  We need
> to create shipping papers and track the shipments against the contract
> properly allocating costs to the contract.  Additionally, there is not a
> fixed markup on every item.  For some projects we must insure that the
> customer receives the previously negotiates prices for the hardware
> purchased.
>
> How can such be accomplished in webERP?  Possibly we do not understand the
> concept being used in the contracts sub-system.
>

> Bob Thomas

Re: Contracts Module

rfthomas
We would be pleased to help in refining this area.  There might be mechanisms already existing webERP to handle some of the areas that are specific to contracts/projects.

We will write up our thoughts with respect to projects.  We have experimented with some project management software written in PHP that mimics much of the functionality of MICROSOFT's PROJECT application.

One requirement is that we need to be able to ship material to the customer creating packing slips and charging the items against the contract/project.  Many of the items that we sell are serialized/lot numbered and we need to track by serial/lot number.  Within the current webERP, we could possibly set-up a customer that is the contract/project with the shipping information being that of the customer.  Sales orders would then be created initially outside the Contracts Module for the items and shipments/invoices made with the charges being accrued against the contract/project.

The customer is not billed based on shipments but rather per the terms of the contract.  We do understand how to accomplish such using webERP.

We have been experimenting with the Contract module and several of the features described in the webERP Manual in the section Contract Costing do not appear to have been implemented.  Specifically entering supplier charges.

Bob Thomas

Re: Contracts Module

Rafael Chacón
Hi Bob Thomas,

Which software are you using for project management? We are experiencing webERP use to bill/quotation by project activities.

Best regards, Rafael.

[...]

Rafael,

We use MICROSOFT Project as a project planning and management tool.  We have experimented with DOTPROJECT available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/dotproject/

Bob Thomas

Re: Contracts Module

Rafael Chacón
Hi Bob Thomas,

Thank you. Excelente! We work with EGroupware/Project Management, but we are trying with dotProject between EGroupware and webERP (using Joomla!).

Best regards, Rafael.

Rafael,

We use MICROSOFT Project as a project planning and management tool.  We have
experimented with DOTPROJECT available at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dotproject/

Bob Thomas

Re: Contracts Module

Bob,

So these invoices/packing lists would actually be zero charges with the
cost of the items on the invoice being issued to the contract?
I hadn't considered that case....
I am thinking that a special contract invoice should be possible to
write a whole lot of text and the invoice has no inventory item against
it - this creates all sorts of trouble as there is no stock movement and
all the printing requires a stock movement - not sure how to achieve it
yet. The sales analysis would also be messed up as the invoice would not
be classed as turnover (under a % completion scenario).

On 04/11/15 03:59, rfthomas wrote:

> We would be pleased to help in refining this area.  There might be mechanisms
> already existing webERP to handle some of the areas that are specific to
> contracts/projects.
>
> We will write up our thoughts with respect to projects.  We have
> experimented with some project management software written in PHP that
> mimics much of the functionality of MICROSOFT's PROJECT application.
>
> One requirement is that we need to be able to ship material to the customer
> creating packing slips and charging the items against the contract/project.
> Many of the items that we sell are serialized/lot numbered and we need to
> track by serial/lot number.  Within the current webERP, we could possibly
> set-up a customer that is the contract/project with the shipping information
> being that of the customer.  Sales orders would then be created initially
> outside the Contracts Module for the items and shipments/invoices made with
> the charges being accrued against the contract/project.
>
> The customer is not billed based on shipments but rather per the terms of
> the contract.  We do understand how to accomplish such using webERP.
>
> We have been experimenting with the Contract module and several of the
> features described in the webERP Manual in the section Contract Costing do
> not appear to have been implemented.  Specifically entering supplier
> charges.
>
> Bob Thomas

Re: Contracts Module

rfthomas
Phil,

We would assume that shipments of items done under a contract would be charged to the contract.  In this case the contract is a special type of customer, the shipping location and customer on the paperwork would default to the customer of the contract (over-ridden if the shipments go to an intermediary, i.e. an integrator who integrates the shipment into the end product of the contract).

The prices specific to the end-user would be charged to the contract with an automatic payment by the contract.

There could be for the contract a complete list of items with other items being added as necessary.

We would create orders in the system that use the contract as customer, placing the items to be shipped on an order.  When the items ship (invoice is created), shipping papers would be generated to accompany the shipment and inventory would adjusted.  The value of the shipment would be the customer's price.  Such would be charged against the contract.

The relationship of contracts to customer is many to one.  We can have several active contracts/projects with the same customer/branch.

Bob Thomas

Re: Contracts Module

phildaintree
Well I am not sure about this... the contract is not a customer, it is
effectively a container of costs - like a work order except there is no
static BOM
Issuing the stock to the contract is possible - but to produce a stock
issue note that is charged to the contract but headed up for dispatch to
the customer is not currently supported nor even envisaged by my simple
mind! I can certainly see why you would do this though now - but I
expect it is not generally the way most companies work. If you issue
stock to the contract then this accomplished by  issuing to the contract
work order. There would be no charge or invoice for such issues.

You may be referring to a contracted price? This is not what the
contract module is about.

Phil