Install interface internationalize

12

Install interface internationalize

Dear all:

             I'd like to improve the install process of webERP to make it more convenient.
             The first step is to make it multi-language. I'm wondering if we should create a special interface for each language or just use current php-gettext.
             And the 2nd one is add more text to explain the install step.
             The 3rd one is the default language choice for users.
             And the 4th is a different COA which is for different country.

            At the mean time, webERP seems cannot be installed in some cloud. I'll try to solve this problem.
            Any comments is highly appreciated!

Re: Install interface internationalize

web-ERP-developers mailing list

Great stuff Exson... the installer is good but multi-language with a choice of charts of accounts perhaps specific to each country would be brilliant.
You are a dynamo at the moment what with all your good work on the smtp email options - great to have you back :-)

Phil

On 13 May 2013 at 12:41 webERP Developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> *Dear all:*
>
> I'd like to improve the install process of webERP to make it
> more convenient.
> The first step is to make it multi-language. I'm wondering if
> we should create a special interface for each language or just use current
> php-gettext.
> And the 2nd one is add more text to explain the install step.
> The 3rd one is the default language choice for users.
> And the 4th is a different COA which is for different country.
>
> At the mean time, webERP seems cannot be installed in some
> cloud. I'll try to solve this problem.
> Any comments is highly appreciated!
>
> Thanks and best regards!
>
> Exson

Ph: +64 (0)275 567890
Skype: daintree
http://www.logicworks.co.nz

Re: Install interface internationalize

Tim Schofield
ExsonQu wrote
Dear all:

             I'd like to improve the install process of webERP to make it more convenient.
             The first step is to make it multi-language. I'm wondering if we should create a special interface for each language or just use current php-gettext.
             And the 2nd one is add more text to explain the install step.
             The 3rd one is the default language choice for users.
             And the 4th is a different COA which is for different country.

            At the mean time, webERP seems cannot be installed in some cloud. I'll try to solve this problem.
            Any comments is highly appreciated!

Hi Exson,

I am about 75% of the way there on such an installer, and have been sent many charts of account from different countries. Can share with you the work that I have done if you want that?

Thanks
Tim
Course View Towers, Plot 21 Yusuf Lule Road, Kampala T +256 (0) 312 314 418 M +256 (0) 752 963 325 www.weberpafrica.com @TimSchofield2 Blog: http://weberpafrica.blogspot.co.uk

Re: Install interface internationalize

Hi, Phil:

             Thank you very much for you kind words!

             Just hope to give more help for those who would like to try webERP.

Re: Install interface internationalize

Hi, Tim:

          Thank you very much!

         I'd like to know what you've done. It'll be more great to do things on shoulders of giants than to invent the wheel again.

Tim Schofield wrote
ExsonQu wrote
Dear all:

             I'd like to improve the install process of webERP to make it more convenient.
             The first step is to make it multi-language. I'm wondering if we should create a special interface for each language or just use current php-gettext.
             And the 2nd one is add more text to explain the install step.
             The 3rd one is the default language choice for users.
             And the 4th is a different COA which is for different country.

            At the mean time, webERP seems cannot be installed in some cloud. I'll try to solve this problem.
            Any comments is highly appreciated!

Hi Exson,

I am about 75% of the way there on such an installer, and have been sent many charts of account from different countries. Can share with you the work that I have done if you want that?

Thanks
Tim

Re: Install interface internationalize

opto
it is now for a very long time (since 3.??) that I experience the installer unable to finish on Windows machines.
That is roughly independent of the PHP version (XAMPP, WAMP, Bitnami).

Always, the MySQL dies in installing the db.
All is fine if I manually load the db into Mysql, but even that takes ages.
I suspect that the max execution time may be too short?

Klaus

Re: Install interface internationalize

web-ERP-developers mailing list
We did extend this max execution time last year I think - so should have fixed that issue already.
But one to bear in mind for Exson's work.

Phil

Ph: +64 (0)275 567890
Skype: daintree
http://www.logicworks.co.nz

On 14 May 2013 at 01:00 webERP Developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> it is now for a very long time (since 3.??) that I experience the installer
> unable to finish on Windows machines.
> That is roughly independent of the PHP version (XAMPP, WAMP, Bitnami).
>
> Always, the MySQL dies in installing the db.
> All is fine if I manually load the db into Mysql, but even that takes ages.
> I suspect that the max execution time may be too short?
>

> Klaus

Re: Install interface internationalize

Dear all:

          Sorry for the late.
          I'll try to close the file within 2 weeks. I think the basic spec for this one is that:

          1. We should detect if the environment meets webERP's requirements. I found Tim has done some in his scripts.
          1.0: Client side: Cookie should be allowed, otherwise the session cannot run properly, since we don't use URL to send the SID.
          1.1. PHP configuration: Php version; PHP safe mode( Is it allowed? Shall we check it?);
                recommend php extention: gettext; GD
          1.2. Server File system: Configure file writable; companies directory writable;
          1.3 OS system. Maybe this part should be canceled. It can be detected automatically.
         2  Users choices:
             2.1 Allow the user to select their language, COA(only those available).
                  language validation for OS. If there is no locale installed, throw out the warning that the language will not display correctly.
             2.2 Allow users to input the administers mail address which introduced by Richard. We should suggest the user to assign the mail here. Or we just use currently mail address to record it in config.php?
             2.3 Install demo with production system together. Currently, there is a bug that only one of them can be selected.
             2.4 User input mysql database information. Shall we test the data here? There seems lots of problem for users to set their database. A better idea maybe to verify their input. If they cannot input it correctly, the installation should stop here.
             2.5 sql installation validation. It's better to throw out error if there is database installation error.

          And I have another problem to prepare a Chinese version demo data. There is only production used sql now. Is there any good idea to prepare a demo quickly according to it?

         Any idea are welcome and highly appreciated!

Re: Install interface internationalize

web-ERP-developers mailing list
The demo DB is created automatically from the shell script

build/make_release.sh

this re xgettexts all the strings in the entire system into the en_GB.utf8/messages.pot
and then remerges all the existing languages into their translation messages.po

then creates the demo and new databases - using mysqldump - you can play with the logic to produce a chinese demo DB directly as an option from the installer!

Yes some more error trapping - dare I say it maybe we should relent and bring in jQuery - have enjoyed playing with it myself and it is pretty small/only loaded once and irons out all the kinks with other browsers etc. Maybe time to get with the program and make our scripts use jQuery validation throughout - there is another 21k validation add on to jQuery which is very cool.

Some choices for language COAs would be great if we could get submissions for other languages charts would be particularly great - we just need a dump of your chartmaster table - no balances or financial information.

Phil

On 29 May 2013 at 14:24 webERP Developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> *Dear all:*
>
> Sorry for the late.
> I'll try to close the file within 2 weeks. I think the basic spec
> for this one is that:
>
> 1. We should detect if the environment meets webERP's
> requirements. I found Tim has done some in his scripts.
> 1.0: Client side: Cookie should be allowed, otherwise the session
> cannot run properly, since we don't use URL to send the SID.
> 1.1. PHP configuration: Php version; PHP safe mode( Is it allowed?
> Shall we check it?);
> recommend php extention: gettext; GD
> 1.2. Server File system: Configure file writable; companies
> directory writable;
> 1.3 OS system. Maybe this part should be canceled. It can be
> detected automatically.
> 2 Users choices:
> 2.1 Allow the user to select their language, COA(only those
> available).
> language validation for OS. If there is no locale
> installed, throw out the warning that the language will not display
> correctly.
> 2.2 Allow users to input the administers mail address which
> introduced by Richard. We should suggest the user to assign the mail here.
> Or we just use currently mail address to record it in config.php?
> 2.3 Install demo with production system together. Currently,
> there is a bug that only one of them can be selected.
> 2.4 User input mysql database information. Shall we test the
> data here? There seems lots of problem for users to set their database. A
> better idea maybe to verify their input. If they cannot input it correctly,
> the installation should stop here.
> 2.5 sql installation validation. It's better to throw out error
> if there is database installation error.
>
> And I have another problem to prepare a Chinese version demo data.
> There is only production used sql now. Is there any good idea to prepare a
> demo quickly according to it?
>
> Any idea are welcome and highly appreciated!
>
> Thanks and best regards!
>
> Exson

Ph: +64 (0)275 567890
Skype: daintree
http://www.logicworks.co.nz

Re: Install interface internationalize

Hi, Phil:

           Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

           I just have no demo data for Chinese version, since the COA is from another user. The build process is great but seems cannot handle current situation. Maybe have to revise the sql data manually.

           Jquery is a great lib. If we use it, shall we consider to revise the convention that scripts still should workable when users forbid the javascript?

           It'll improve the performance dramatically since only the necessary data be transmitted instead of lots of html markup.

Re: Install interface internationalize

web-ERP-developers mailing list
Well I still feel that we need a fall back for those few devices that don't have javascript interpreter (or have it disabled) and that jQuery should be a progressive thing - if we have javascript then use it - but always ensure that webERP will work with just PHP and web-browser even without javascript.
Yes it should reduce round trips to the server.

Hope that makes sense.

I will add it in later on and we can set to work on jQuery form validation work. When using jQuery I prefer to use the long form jQuery rather than $ as $ has a different meaning in PHP and it is not immediately obvious that it is a jQuery call (except to an experienced jQuery programmer).

On 29 May 2013 at 15:39 webERP Developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> *Hi, Phil:*
>
> Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
>
> I just have no demo data for Chinese version, since the COA is
> from another user. The build process is great but seems cannot handle
> current situation. Maybe have to revise the sql data manually.
>
> Jquery is a great lib. If we use it, shall we consider to revise
> the convention that scripts still should workable when users forbid the
> javascript?
>
> It'll improve the performance dramatically since only the
> necessary data be transmitted instead of lots of html markup.
>
> Thanks and best regards!
>
> Exson

Ph: +64 (0)275 567890
Skype: daintree
http://www.logicworks.co.nz

Re: Install interface internationalize

Tim Schofield
zh_CN_chart.sql

Exson,

Does this look sensible to you?

Thanks
Tim
Course View Towers, Plot 21 Yusuf Lule Road, Kampala T +256 (0) 312 314 418 M +256 (0) 752 963 325 www.weberpafrica.com @TimSchofield2 Blog: http://weberpafrica.blogspot.co.uk

Re: Install interface internationalize

Hi, Tim:

     Thank you very much.

     This one only for service company.

     And if there is no other comments for installation. I'll code it according what I mentioned above.

Tim Schofield wrote

Thanks
Tim

Re: Install interface internationalize

Tim Schofield
Hi Exson,

Ok, I was under the impression it was just a general basic chart.

Most organisations want the ability to create a chart of accounts as they go, or import their own. For instance in my experience each manufacturing company may have the need of a very different chart, and I think it would be best to start off with just the necessary accounts and allow each company to grow it as they see fit.

What do you think?

Thanks
Tim

ExsonQu wrote

Tim
Course View Towers, Plot 21 Yusuf Lule Road, Kampala T +256 (0) 312 314 418 M +256 (0) 752 963 325 www.weberpafrica.com @TimSchofield2 Blog: http://weberpafrica.blogspot.co.uk

Re: Install interface internationalize

Hi, Phil:

        I think it'll be great to let the application run without javascript. But it'll a big challenge to mix javascript php together. Ajax is the mark of web2.0, if we introduce ajax, the style of coding will be big difference. I believe you've already experienced that.
        A feasible way maybe we set a configuration choice for users and code same feature with two different code style. The coding for php only is very concise, but the user experience will be poor. It's time consuming to code with javascript+php, but it'll improve user experience and improve the performance.
        As html5 become popular, Javascripts will be a used widely. And with more mobile device introduced in office, lots of apps will be available in MID. I believe it's time to change the code style to separate the view (user's interface) with business logic. Then the application will be easily to be adjusted to mobile device, such as compile it with PhoneGap.

        Just my2cent about the coding style.

Re: Install interface internationalize

Hi, Tim,

        I think a more comprehensive COA is better for those users who do not have so much experience with webERP. Then can choose those account they need and just leave others alone. But if they cannot find the accounts they want, they will feel the software is not suitable or strive to find way out. It's a high learning cost for them.

       Moreover, service company is small portion of erp's users. That means most users have to change the COA themselves. Does that make sense?

Tim Schofield wrote

Thanks
Tim

Re: Install interface internationalize

web-ERP-developers mailing list
Hi Exson,

Well, I only have little experience with jQuery - but to my mind it lends itself well to writing progressive apps that have a nice fall back to php. The jQuery script can sit at the beginning of the script almost independent of the rest of the code and we just need to worry about naming the various html tags and perhaps some more css to make it sing.

I probably have quite a bit of learning to do Exson, so happy to take on board any pointers on why you say that progressive php => jQuery is not compatible with each other? The work I have done allows the script to run fine without javascript and with fall back error checks back on the server - but with javascript available takes advantage of the jQuery traps. Neither has the work I've done been very labour intensive - although debugging jQuery really does need firebug. It seems pretty straightforward to me  - I will write up a script with what I am proposing.. so we can throw around some ideas on how we can use it. (AJAX with jQuery is a breeze too - with my cart I do searches via AJAX - but the fall back remains to go back to the server also)

I am NOT keen to reinvent webERP with any other coding style - this would be for some other project/fork - IMHO the reason why webERP is so special IS the coding structure - but I realise I am a lone voice on that one!! I understand that what we have is contrary to the accepted wisdom separating the logic and display... but this introduces abstraction and bugs - with webERP it is all laid bare with the context provided by the display code illustrating what the code/logic is doing. Even a cursor examination of the code of any of the plethora of other projects that use "model view controller" structure (you propose) illustrates quite clearly that the code of webERP is so much easier to understand. It would be heresy for a computer scientist to admit it .... but abundantly obvious I think?

To alter the interface enough to work with phones would need quite an  extensive re-write of many scripts. However, a lot of it currently works just fine on tablets - but phone use is not the best for older eyes :-(

Phil

On 30 May 2013 at 13:28 webERP Developers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> *Hi, Phil:*
>
> I think it'll be great to let the application run without
> javascript. But it'll a big challenge to mix javascript php together. Ajax
> is the mark of web2.0, if we introduce ajax, the style of coding will be big
> difference. I believe you've already experienced that.
> A feasible way maybe we set a configuration choice for users and
> code same feature with two different code style. The coding for php only is
> very concise, but the user experience will be poor. It's time consuming to
> code with javascript+php, but it'll improve user experience and improve the
> performance.
> As html5 become popular, Javascripts will be a used widely. And with
> more mobile device introduced in office, lots of apps will be available in
> MID. I believe it's time to change the code style to separate the view
> (user's interface) with business logic. Then the application will be easily
> to be adjusted to mobile device, such as compile it with PhoneGap.
>
> Just my2cent about the coding style.
>
> Thanks and best regards!
>
> Exson

Ph: +64 (0)275 567890
Skype: daintree
http://www.logicworks.co.nz

Re: Install interface internationalize

Hi, Phil:

          Thank you for your prompt reply.

          I think it'll better to discuss the ajax issue when you create some sample. What I concern is that when we user ajax, the user do not need refresh the screen, and the data come from the server with json. But if the javascript is prohibited, the screen has to be refreshed. I'm afraid the interface should be redesigned to make it more nature. Since I've never done it this way, my idea maybe wrong. If there is simple way to do it, it's great.

          And concerning to MVC, I do not suggest this style. If develop things via ajax, it seems very nature to let the interface separate from the php scripts. The interface responsible to communicate with users, and ajax response to communicate with server, and the data transaction through json format. It's just request and response model and quite straight forward IMHO.

          It maybe need time to discuss it.
          Currently, I'm writing the installation code. I'll introduce php-gettext to translate the interface during installation. Then if there is translated language and users selected it, they'll see their familiar language. And theme of professional will be used too. Not sure if this design will lead any problem.

         Thank you very much!

Re: Install interface internationalize

opto
jquery:

it is not only json and ajax that makes jquery very usefull.

One other example, among others, is table paggination: there is a plugin that allows to customise tables (e.g. the product item table):

the user can choose which columns to display, in which order on the screen, in which columns to sort, can store his/her default view options on the PC, etc.
or drag and drop or multi-upload capabilities.

I think I uploaded an example of the table thing quite a long time ago.

While I can see that simplicity in hardware and software requirements is important in many parts of the world, I also experience that the optical layout of weberp and the user interface (al webpage entering) is a show stopper in a world where win7, win 8 and respective user concepts are dominant.

I see that my employees, for example, just don't want to use weberp because of usability issues and time needed to fill in web pages.

Sorry to say that so clearly, but compared to opennerp, adempiere, some work needs to be done.

As you can see from my previous post, I actually adapted the table plug in to weberp but felt nobody to be interested in it.

I would be glad if that and/or the approch to user interface and usability would change.
I can see that there may be a conflict using it in other countries on older/slower machines.

Klaus

Re: Install max execution time

opto
Indeed, I did check that on either 4.0.9 or 4.0.10 - so very recently- and it still crashes on install on various PHP systems (see my original post): wampserver, bitnami stack).

Klaus
12