Quantcast

Major upgrade to purchasing

phildaintree
Tim,

The new purchasing scripts look really good - sorry it has taken me a
while to recognise the large improvements you have effected in this
area. I can't believe there has not been more excitement around this
work. Although perhaps it is only crazy accountants that get excited
about such things.

In case anyone else is not aware the 3.11 release has MAJOR improvements
in purchasing where users need to be set up to be able to place purchase
orders and further their authority can be limited to purchase orders
below a certain level and/or a certain currency. Users can be defined as
authorisers or intiators of orders (or both).

There is a new script that shows purchase orders that require
authorisation if you are an authoriser of purchase orders.

This is a big step up and an effective re-write of purchasing for webERP
- which was one of its weaker areas ... but no more!

I did notice one bug - I could not change prices, dates or weights of
order lines - but have fixed it now.

Re: Major upgrade to purchasing

Tim Schofield
Thanks Phil. This was based on the great work that Rob Virgin sent me,
so I don't want to take all the credit.

You mention fixing that bug, but I couldn't find the code on
sourceforge, have I missed it, or am I being too quick?

Thanks
Tim

2009/10/5 Phil Daintree <[hidden email]>:

> Tim,
>
> The new purchasing scripts look really good - sorry it has taken me a
> while to recognise the large improvements you have effected in this
> area. I can't believe there has not been more excitement around this
> work. Although perhaps it is only crazy accountants that get excited
> about such things.
>
> In case anyone else is not aware the 3.11 release has MAJOR improvements
> in purchasing where users need to be set up to be able to place purchase
> orders and further their authority can be limited to purchase orders
> below a certain level and/or a certain currency. Users can be defined as
> authorisers or intiators of orders (or both).
>
> There is a new script that shows purchase orders that require
> authorisation if you are an authoriser of purchase orders.
>
> This is a big step up and an effective re-write of purchasing for webERP
> - which was one of its weaker areas ... but no more!
>
> I did notice one bug - I could not change prices, dates or weights of
> order lines - but have fixed it now.
>

> Phil

Re: Major upgrade to purchasing

phildaintree
Maybe I've not committed it yet sorry - not on that machine today will
have to do it tomorrow.

Phil

Tim Schofield wrote:

> Thanks Phil. This was based on the great work that Rob Virgin sent me,
> so I don't want to take all the credit.
>
> You mention fixing that bug, but I couldn't find the code on
> sourceforge, have I missed it, or am I being too quick?
>
> Thanks
> Tim
>

> 2009/10/5 Phil Daintree <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Tim,
>>
>> The new purchasing scripts look really good - sorry it has taken me a
>> while to recognise the large improvements you have effected in this
>> area. I can't believe there has not been more excitement around this
>> work. Although perhaps it is only crazy accountants that get excited
>> about such things.
>>
>> In case anyone else is not aware the 3.11 release has MAJOR improvements
>> in purchasing where users need to be set up to be able to place purchase
>> orders and further their authority can be limited to purchase orders
>> below a certain level and/or a certain currency. Users can be defined as
>> authorisers or intiators of orders (or both).
>>
>> There is a new script that shows purchase orders that require
>> authorisation if you are an authoriser of purchase orders.
>>
>> This is a big step up and an effective re-write of purchasing for webERP
>> - which was one of its weaker areas ... but no more!
>>
>> I did notice one bug - I could not change prices, dates or weights of
>> order lines - but have fixed it now.
>>

>> Phil

Re: Major upgrade to purchasing

Gopinath Goswami
This post was updated on .
Dear Phil,

I myself found where I went wrong.

Every time I authorized the Purchase Order, I clicked on the button "Enter Line Items" to see the items ordered.  Subsequently I also hit Process Order button. This process did not allow the order being authorized at all and kept in pending status only.  The button "Enter Line Items" under this page is misleading.

Later, I realized it and just authorized the order and returned to the purchase.  This time, I could see the link for "print" available.

Here I have a small suggestion.

Every time the purchase executive creates a purchase order he requests admin to authorize.  When admin logs in to authorize, he would like to see first the list of items ordered, quantity, price etc BEFORE AUTHORIZING.  He will make necessary changes to the purchase order created (if any) and then only AUTHORIZE the purchase order.  Immediately after such authorization, the next screen itself should present the link to print, should the admin prefer to send order to supplier himself.

It may be a good idea to offer another link under purchase section "Authorize Purchase Order" which will be used by the Admin to authorize the purchase order and the series of information should be presented to him.

Authorize Purchase Order -> Review the items ordered -> Edit the order if necessary -> Hit Update -> Process Order -> link to print

I hope it makes sense..

Thanks
Gopinath Goswami

Dear Phil,

I have a strange problem.  I am unable to authorize the Purchase Order and upgrade to the next level of "print".  Whenever, I choose "authorize" from the drop down menu and hit "update", it logs "authorised by admin".  But next screen, it simply says "Purchase order # has been updated".  Print link is not available.  If I return to Purchase screen and if I attempt once again, only "Modify" link is available and "print" link is unavailable.  Besides, the status remains only in "pending".

This system worked well on my first few attempts.  That is how I am aware that "print" link will be available after authorization and "Receive" link is available only after "print" is done.  Though it worked initially, after few times, I am unable to authorize at all.

I tried the following to fix.

1.  I increased the authorization limit for admin upto 1 million in different currencies, so that this limit is not coming in my way of authorization.
2.  I tried to logout and login again after authorization.  Probably I thought the session/cookie may be the culprit.  I even went to the extent of closing the browser, changing the browser and then changing different computer after the authorization process was over.

Unfortunately, still I am unable to fix it.  Can you help?

Regards
Gopinath Goswami

Phil Daintree-3 wrote

Tim Schofield wrote:
> Thanks Phil. This was based on the great work that Rob Virgin sent me,
> so I don't want to take all the credit.
>
> You mention fixing that bug, but I couldn't find the code on
> sourceforge, have I missed it, or am I being too quick?
>
> Thanks
> Tim
>

> 2009/10/5 Phil Daintree <phil@logicworks.co.nz>:
>
>> Tim,
>>
>> The new purchasing scripts look really good - sorry it has taken me a
>> while to recognise the large improvements you have effected in this
>> area. I can't believe there has not been more excitement around this
>> work. Although perhaps it is only crazy accountants that get excited
>> about such things.
>>
>> In case anyone else is not aware the 3.11 release has MAJOR improvements
>> in purchasing where users need to be set up to be able to place purchase
>> orders and further their authority can be limited to purchase orders
>> below a certain level and/or a certain currency. Users can be defined as
>> authorisers or intiators of orders (or both).
>>
>> There is a new script that shows purchase orders that require
>> authorisation if you are an authoriser of purchase orders.
>>
>> This is a big step up and an effective re-write of purchasing for webERP
>> - which was one of its weaker areas ... but no more!
>>
>> I did notice one bug - I could not change prices, dates or weights of
>> order lines - but have fixed it now.
>>

>> Phil

Re: Major upgrade to purchasing

Tim Schofield
Hi,

There is a new script that didnt get into 3.11 but will be in 3.12
that goes someway to addressing your problems. You can download it
from :

http://web-erp.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/web-erp/trunk/PO_AuthoriseMyOrders.php?revision=2795

The only thing it doesnt address is the printing of the order directly
after authorisation.

Let me know what you think,
Tim