Question about Quality Control module

Hi, Andrew,

            Thank you for your efforts to contribute the great QA module!

            I have a question about the product specification. I found it's good if test defined differently, for instance, length test, pressure test etc. Sometime we should test a sample with around 50 dimension, does that mean we have to define 50 dimension test to prepare the product specification? Or am I missing something?

Re: Question about Quality Control module

Andrew Galuski
Yes.  In order to apply to the specification or certification the test must be defined.  So if for 1 product you test 4 different things than you define 4 different tests (or 50!).  One test however can be used on multiple products.  So the length test can be defined one time and put on multiple product specifications, each with different value.

Example:
Test Setup
Length, Measured in cm, Range, Numeric value, show on Spec  yes.

Product A can have Length and have Minimum 2, Maximum 4 (must be Between 2 and 4)
Product B can have length and have minimum 3, Maximum 5 (must be Between 3 and 5)
Product C can have length and have no minimum, Maximum 6 (must be Less than 6)

I hope that helps.  If not let me know and I can try to provide more examples

Best Regards,
Andrew Galuski
ResMart LLC.
817.615.2038 (Office)
817.821.0544 (Cell)
www.resmart.com

            Thank you for your efforts to contribute the great QA module!

            I have a question about the product specification. I found it's good if test defined differently, for instance, length test, pressure test etc. Sometime we should test a sample with around 50 dimension, does that mean we have to define 50 dimension test to prepare the product specification? Or am I missing something?

Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/

Re: Question about Quality Control module

Hi, Andrew,

         Thank you very much for your quick response.

         I have no question that one test can be applied to different product. My question is that for instance length test cannot be applied many times for same product.

        Sometime we may need to measure lots of dimension for instance 50 or even more for one sample. Does it make sense that the test method is the same, but only dimension and position is different. I think we should allow same test be applied in one product specification for many times. Instead of only one time can be applied for one product. Or I just make a misunderstood?

        Thank you very much!

Re: Question about Quality Control module

Andrew Galuski
Can you provide a sample Product Specification (not from WebERP) that shows what you mean?

Best Regards,
Andrew Galuski
ResMart LLC.
817.615.2038 (Office)
817.821.0544 (Cell)
www.resmart.com

Re: Question about Quality Control module

Hi, Andrew,

           For example I have 1 plastic product A. We have to measure the width, height,length, and other 30 key dimensions. These tests are just measuring a sample by a digital multimeter.
           In current setting, in order to prepare the specification for A, we have to set up 33 tests. Am I right?
           I'm wondering why we should set up 33 tests for dimension measure which following the same test procedure. Does it make more sense to allow one kind of QA test be applied many times for the same product? In another word, we just need set up  one QA test for those 33 check points instead of set up 33 QA tests.

           Sorry for the poor explanation.

Re: Question about Quality Control module

Hi, Andrew,

          Let's give more details:

          We have spec like this:

             Location            description          specification:
                 1                     dimension             11+-0.3
                 2                     dimension             8.7+-0.3
                 3                     dimension             8.5+_0.3

          If we need to create this spec, we have to have 3 QA tests.
          We can set it as size1 type: range unit:mm,  size 2 type: range unit:mm  size 3 type:range unit:mm.
          Should we allow use only define  QA test size1? And use size1 only to create the specification?

Re: Question about Quality Control module

Andrew Galuski

There would need to be a change in the unique key I think in order to allow that to happen however I see this as 3 separate tests using the same "Method".

For Plastics we measure "Melt Flow Rate".  We use METHOD ASTM D1238.

Depending on the type of Plastic you perform this measure using different weight and temperatures.

We setup multiple tests like the below.

31

Melt Flow Rate @ 190°C - 2160g

ASTM D 1238

PhysicalProperty

g/10min

Range

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Edit

25

Melt Flow Rate @ 200°C - 5000g

ASTM D 1238

PhysicalProperty

g/10min

Range

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Edit

33

Melt Flow Rate @ 230°C - 2160g

ASTM D 1238

PhysicalProperty

g/10min

Range

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Edit

32

Melt Flow Rate @ 230°C - 3800g

ASTM D 1238

PhysicalProperty

g/10min

Range

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Edit

34

Melt Flow Rate @ 250°C - 10kg

ASTM D 1238

PhysicalProperty

g/10min

Range

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Edit

7

Melt Flow Rate @ 300°C - 1200g

ASTM D1238

PhysicalProperty

g/10min

Range

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Edit

If I just said I wanted to test “Melt Flow Rate” measurement multiple times on the specification where would I say how each time I tested it which Temperature and weight to us?

And in yours, when you say Test the “dimension”, how do you specify which dimension to test.

I don't think either of us is right or wrong.

In order to do this your way we would have to add an additional identifier to the specification otherwise how will the person performing the test and entering the results know which "dimension" to enter their data in?

If I were to ask you "What is the specification for measurement?" you couldn't answer.  Unless I asked you "What is the specification for measurement A".  So we need a place to store A on the specification.

This might be a big change to downstream stuff too like entering results.  More work than I would want to put in for Just setting up the same test 50 times (with slightly different description @ Loc 1, @ Loc 2, @Loc 3 etc).  And Adding test to the spec is very easy this way

Best Regards,

Andrew Galuski

ResMart LLC.

817.615.2038 (Office)