Quantcast

Question about barcode field

Pak Ricard
Hi all:

On my struggle to print barcodes, etc... I face another problem. my barcode field contains the same info as stockid (stockmaster.barcode = stockmaster.stockid) and it's too long for the label :-(

Question: Does webERP need that stockmaster.barcode = stockmaster.stockid to use the barcode readers? Or webERP detects when a barcode reader is used and selects the item by barcode field? Or dies it by stockid?

Example: CounterSales.php does not read/use the field stockmaster.barcode. How does it identify the items? by stockid?

Completely lost about this.

Regards,
Ricard

Re: Question about barcode field

Rafael Chacón
Hi Ricard,

I also use stockmaster.stockid=stockmaster.barcode (with 13 digits barcodes). I use two label sizes; the "for public label" is 50 x 100 mm (american 2 x 4 inches). I prefer to use 5 cm length barcode (for 13 digits), but you can use a 3 cm length barcode (you can reduce the size of the barcode image and it still readable).

Sorry, I use other software to print labels because I did not know this in webERP (I had no time to move from this other software to webERP, but I will do). Nicola Asuni's TCPDF has parameters for Width/Height of a single bar element in pixels (and put it in a cell + other elements like item name, etc.; you can preview it in HTML and then print in PDF --as generate a PDF from HTML--)

The barcode reader is used to input the stock code in CounterSales.php/Item Code, SelectOrderItems.php?identifier=9999999999/OR Enter extract of the Stock Code:, etc. instead of type ("write by fingers").

For me:
+ Pros: Everybody knows the stockmaster.stockid (except, obviously, the private barcodes --200 series--).
- Cons: PDFPriceList.php sorts by "Item Code" instead of "Item Description" (and barcodes arr by manufacturer and by first-come-first-code).

Best regards, Rafael.

Hi all:

On my struggle to print barcodes, etc... I face another problem. my barcode field contains the same info as stockid (stockmaster.barcode = stockmaster.stockid) and it's too long for the label :-(

Question: Does webERP need that stockmaster.barcode = stockmaster.stockid to use the barcode readers? Or webERP detects when a barcode reader is used and selects the item by barcode field? Or dies it by stockid?

Example: CounterSales.php does not read/use the field stockmaster.barcode. How does it identify the items? by stockid?

Completely lost about this.

Regards,
Ricard

Label_Barcode.png (1M) Download Attachment

Re: Question about barcode field

phildaintree
Can you note just change the font-size of the barcode field?

Phil

On 2015-09-28 08:19, Rafael Chacón wrote:

> Hi Ricard,
>
> I also use stockmaster.stockid=stockmaster.barcode (with 13 digits
> barcodes). I use two label sizes; the "for public label" is 50 x 100
> mm (american 2 x 4 inches). I prefer to use 5 cm length barcode (for
> 13 digits), but you can use a 3 cm length barcode (you can reduce the
> size of the barcode image and it still readable).
>
> Sorry, I use other software to print labels because I did not know
> this in webERP (I had no time to move from this other software to
> webERP, but I will do). Nicola Asuni's TCPDF has parameters for
> Width/Height of a single bar element in pixels (and put it in a cell +
> other elements like item name, etc.; you can preview it in HTML and
> then print in PDF --as generate a PDF from HTML--)
>
> The barcode reader is used to input the stock code in
> CounterSales.php/Item Code,
> SelectOrderItems.php?identifier=9999999999/OR Enter extract of the
> Stock Code:, etc. instead of type ("write by fingers").
>
> For me:
> + Pros: Everybody knows the stockmaster.stockid (except, obviously,
> the private barcodes --200 series--).
> - Cons: PDFPriceList.php sorts by "Item Code" instead of "Item
> Description" (and barcodes arr by manufacturer and by
> first-come-first-code).
>
> Best regards, Rafael.

>> Hi all:
>>
>> On my struggle to print barcodes, etc... I face another problem. my
>> barcode field contains the same info as stockid (stockmaster.barcode
>> = stockmaster.stockid) and it's too long for the label :-(
>>
>> Question: Does webERP need that stockmaster.barcode =
>> stockmaster.stockid to use the barcode readers? Or webERP detects
>> when a barcode reader is used and selects the item by barcode field?
>> Or dies it by stockid?
>>
>> Example: CounterSales.php does not read/use the field
>> stockmaster.barcode. How does it identify the items? by stockid?
>>
>> Completely lost about this.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ricard

> Links:
> ------

Re: Question about barcode field

Pak Ricard
Thanks Rafael and Phil:

So, we'll be using stockid then. Our stockid is AAAANN-BB-CC and want to use 28 mm labels (as we sell jewellery and labels should be really small).  Easily legible barcodes with 12 characters use more than 28 mm. If reduced until 28 mm, then are not properly printed and afterwards read.

Regarding Phil's idea, I tried, but when the PDF is printed and the PDF resolution and printer resolution don't match, the vertical lines get wrong. So (as example) if PDF barcode is created at 200 dpi and printed on a barcode printer of 300 dpi, 1 PDF vertical line of 1 point should be printed as 1.5 points at the printer. Some printers will choose to print 1 point, some 2. Then the barcode read can't be read properly, as the proportion between line widths is not correct.

So the "proper" way to do it, is to match PDF and printer resolutions (or printer resolution being a multiple of PDF resolution). Following previous example, if printer is 600 dpi, then every 1 PDF point gets printed as 3 printer points, and it works OK.

Main issue is: now, seems like barcodes are geneated at 72dpi and it's "the mother of all messes". I will explore to print barcodes with TCPDF directly, as there's a parameter $xres than (if I'm not wrong) can de used to set the resolution of the barcode image.

I'm still on the learning curve, so probably there are some errors on my point.

Regards,
Ricard