Quantcast

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

Tim Schofield
My apologies, Jan had sent me a fix for that, but I had forgotten to
update it to cvs. I have now done this.

Tim

On 25/09/2007, Anthony C. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After I update the Stock.php to version 1.38,
> When I change the category selection, it refreshes itself and submit to the
> DB.
> All other fields have not been filled yet and I needed to search for it.
>
> I thought this was the issue which has been fixed?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Anthony

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

Anthony C.
Hi tim,

After select the category, there is still some problem:
The Item Code became text, however, the item description are gone.

sometime I just change other fields and it gave me :

ERROR Message Report : The stock item description must be entered and be fifty characters or less long. It cannot be a zero length string either - a description is required

Thank you

Tim Schofield wrote
My apologies, Jan had sent me a fix for that, but I had forgotten to
update it to cvs. I have now done this.

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

Anthony C.
Can anyone duplicate this error too?

Thank you,

Anthony
Anthony C. wrote
Hi tim,

After select the category, there is still some problem:
The Item Code became text, however, the item description are gone.

sometime I just change other fields and it gave me :

ERROR Message Report : The stock item description must be entered and be fifty characters or less long. It cannot be a zero length string either - a description is required

Thank you

Tim Schofield wrote
My apologies, Jan had sent me a fix for that, but I had forgotten to
update it to cvs. I have now done this.

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

Tim Schofield
Anthony, the javascript is trying to enable the extended properties of
the item category, when the category is changed. Currently it is doing
this by posting the form. This has the downside that it attempts to
update the database at the same time, and if the required fields
aren't filled in you get this error. How to correct it is the problem,
any ideas? Also the javascript behaviour seems to vary depending on
which browser/OS combination you use.

Thanks
Tim

On 28/09/2007, Anthony C. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can anyone duplicate this error too?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Anthony
>
> Anthony C. wrote:
> >
> > Hi tim,
> >
> > After select the category, there is still some problem:
> > The Item Code became text, however, the item description are gone.
> >
> > sometime I just change other fields and it gave me :
> >
> > ERROR Message Report : The stock item description must be entered and be
> > fifty characters or less long. It cannot be a zero length string either -
> > a description is required
> >

> > Thank you
> >

> > Tim Schofield wrote:
> >>
> >> My apologies, Jan had sent me a fix for that, but I had forgotten to
> >> update it to cvs. I have now done this.

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

Anthony C.
Hi Tim,

You are right, because sometime in FF, I can't even add a new product. The browser keep refresh back to the first item category...
I will look into that. However, I am not a skillful javascript programmer..
if any news, I will post back.

Anthony
Tim Schofield wrote

On 28/09/2007, Anthony C. <shihkuang@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Can anyone duplicate this error too?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Anthony
>
> Anthony C. wrote:
> >
> > Hi tim,
> >
> > After select the category, there is still some problem:
> > The Item Code became text, however, the item description are gone.
> >
> > sometime I just change other fields and it gave me :
> >
> > ERROR Message Report : The stock item description must be entered and be
> > fifty characters or less long. It cannot be a zero length string either -
> > a description is required
> >

> > Thank you
> >

> > Tim Schofield wrote:
> >>
> >> My apologies, Jan had sent me a fix for that, but I had forgotten to
> >> update it to cvs. I have now done this.

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

charles-28
What is the page with the Javascript problem?  I am good with frontend
cross-browser development, and may be able to solve this issue.

Charles
@doublerebel.com

Quoting "Anthony C." <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Tim,
>
> You are right, because sometime in FF, I can't even add a new product. The
> browser keep refresh back to the first item category...
> I will look into that. However, I am not a skillful javascript programmer..
> if any news, I will post back.
>
> Anthony
>
> Tim Schofield wrote:
>>
>> Anthony, the javascript is trying to enable the extended properties of
>> the item category, when the category is changed. Currently it is doing
>> this by posting the form. This has the downside that it attempts to
>> update the database at the same time, and if the required fields
>> aren't filled in you get this error. How to correct it is the problem,
>> any ideas? Also the javascript behaviour seems to vary depending on
>> which browser/OS combination you use.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tim
>>
>> On 28/09/2007, Anthony C. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can anyone duplicate this error too?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>>
>>> Anthony

>>> be
>>> -

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

Tim Schofield
The file is Stocks.php. There is a small amount of javascript, that is
needed to show the extended properties when the category is changed.
Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

> What is the page with the Javascript problem?  I am good with frontend
> cross-browser development, and may be able to solve this issue.
>
> Charles
> @doublerebel.com
>

> Quoting "Anthony C." <[hidden email]>:
>

> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > You are right, because sometime in FF, I can't even add a new product. The
> > browser keep refresh back to the first item category...
> > I will look into that. However, I am not a skillful javascript programmer..
> > if any news, I will post back.
> >
> > Anthony
> >
> > Tim Schofield wrote:
> >>
> >> Anthony, the javascript is trying to enable the extended properties of
> >> the item category, when the category is changed. Currently it is doing
> >> this by posting the form. This has the downside that it attempts to
> >> update the database at the same time, and if the required fields
> >> aren't filled in you get this error. How to correct it is the problem,
> >> any ideas? Also the javascript behaviour seems to vary depending on
> >> which browser/OS combination you use.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Tim

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

charles-28
I'm at work but I took a quick look at it.  I'm confident I can fix
this but I may not get to it til tomorrow, I'll post when I've got a
revision.

Charles
@doublerebel.com

Quoting Tim Schofield <[hidden email]>:

> The file is Stocks.php. There is a small amount of javascript, that is
> needed to show the extended properties when the category is changed.
> Any help is really appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Tim

>> What is the page with the Javascript problem?  I am good with frontend
>> cross-browser development, and may be able to solve this issue.
>>
>> Charles
>> @doublerebel.com
>>

>> Quoting "Anthony C." <[hidden email]>:
>>

>> > Hi Tim,
>> >
>> > You are right, because sometime in FF, I can't even add a new product. The
>> > browser keep refresh back to the first item category...
>> > I will look into that. However, I am not a skillful javascript
>> programmer..
>> > if any news, I will post back.
>> >
>> > Anthony

>> string either

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

Tim Schofield
Thanks Charles

> I'm at work but I took a quick look at it.  I'm confident I can fix
> this but I may not get to it til tomorrow, I'll post when I've got a
> revision.
>
> Charles
> @doublerebel.com
>

> Quoting Tim Schofield <[hidden email]>:
>
> > The file is Stocks.php. There is a small amount of javascript, that is
> > needed to show the extended properties when the category is changed.
> > Any help is really appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Tim
> >

> > On 28/09/2007, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> What is the page with the Javascript problem?  I am good with frontend
> >> cross-browser development, and may be able to solve this issue.
> >>
> >> Charles
> >> @doublerebel.com

> >> programmer..

> >> string either

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

Anthony C.
Thank you charles...

I was able to use XMLHttpRequest to display the item property.

However, I realized that since it is on the fly, there is no form data.
I am still new to this..@@
hope Charles can give us a hand.

Thank you,

Anthony
Tim Schofield wrote
Thanks Charles

On 28/09/2007, charles@doublerebel.com <charles@doublerebel.com> wrote:
> I'm at work but I took a quick look at it.  I'm confident I can fix
> this but I may not get to it til tomorrow, I'll post when I've got a
> revision.
>
> Charles
> @doublerebel.com
>

> Quoting Tim Schofield <tim.schofield1960@googlemail.com>:
>
> > The file is Stocks.php. There is a small amount of javascript, that is
> > needed to show the extended properties when the category is changed.
> > Any help is really appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Tim
> >

> > On 28/09/2007, charles@doublerebel.com <charles@doublerebel.com> wrote:
> >> What is the page with the Javascript problem?  I am good with frontend
> >> cross-browser development, and may be able to solve this issue.
> >>
> >> Charles
> >> @doublerebel.com

> >> programmer..

> >> string either

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

Anthony C.
hum... I can't seem to add the product into the system now.

It just refresh and shows me the item id and other fields are empty.
the category select option back to the first option.
after put other fields, it says updated.  however, in database, there is none..

any good progress now?

Thank you

Anthony

Tim Schofield wrote

Thanks
Tim

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

charles-28
Anthony, Tim, I have made some progress.

I'm able to correct the javascript to reload the page with the stock
id and new category, but it reverts the item properties to what is
saved in the database -- meaning if you change the category of an item
it has to be the first thing you change when updating.

Change all the javascript in the SCRIPT tags at the top of the page to:
<script type="text/javascript">
var ReloadForm = function() {
        var stockid = document.getElementsByName('StockID')[0].value;
        if (stockid.length > 1) {
                window.location = "Stocks.php?StockID=" + encodeURI(stockid) +
"&CategoryID=" +
encodeURI(document.getElementsByName('CategoryID')[0].value);
        }
}
</script>

Around line 520, change:
$_POST['CategoryID']  = $myrow['categoryid'];
to:
$_POST['CategoryID']  = $_GET['CategoryID'] || $myrow['categoryid'];

Because of the structure of the backend PHP code, there are 2 simple
solutions:
1) Make the above javascript change.  It requires the least change in
code, but you have to remember to change the category first, or you
will lose any updating changes when you change the category.

2) I can have the database updated when the category is changed.  This
way, you won't lose any progress, but it will commit any changes to
database every time you change the category.  This also won't really
work if you change a category while the item fields are incomplete
(new items), which is part of the problem now.

Otherwise, to retain the information in the form, without updating the
database, but still displaying the extended category properties, a
good bit of Javascript or PHP will need to be written.  IMO this is
necessary for the form to work as users will expect, so I'm going to
do it, but it will just take me a few days.

I hope that all made sense, let me know what you think.  I'll have a
more complete fix soon.

Charles
@doublerebel.com

Quoting "Anthony C." <[hidden email]>:

> hum... I can't seem to add the product into the system now.
>
> It just refresh and shows me the item id and other fields are empty.
> the category select option back to the first option.
> after put other fields, it says updated.  however, in database, there is
> none..
>
> any good progress now?
>
> Thank you
>
> Anthony
>

> Tim Schofield wrote:
>>
>> Anthony, the javascript is trying to enable the extended properties of
>> the item category, when the category is changed. Currently it is doing
>> this by posting the form. This has the downside that it attempts to
>> update the database at the same time, and if the required fields
>> aren't filled in you get this error. How to correct it is the problem,
>> any ideas? Also the javascript behaviour seems to vary depending on
>> which browser/OS combination you use.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Tim

Re: Stock.php refresh problem

Tim Schofield
Charles, this is definitely moving forward. There is some sql at
approx line 730, which retrieves the stock category properties, and is
dependent on $_POST['CategoryID']. Can we get away with just changing
this to $_GET['CategoryID'] ?

Tim

> [...]
>

> > hum... I can't seem to add the product into the system now.
> >
> > It just refresh and shows me the item id and other fields are empty.
> > the category select option back to the first option.
> > after put other fields, it says updated.  however, in database, there is
> > none..
> >
> > any good progress now?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Anthony
> >

> > Tim Schofield wrote:
> >>
> >> Anthony, the javascript is trying to enable the extended properties of
> >> the item category, when the category is changed. Currently it is doing
> >> this by posting the form. This has the downside that it attempts to
> >> update the database at the same time, and if the required fields
> >> aren't filled in you get this error. How to correct it is the problem,
> >> any ideas? Also the javascript behaviour seems to vary depending on

Hi Charles,

Any new progress on the fix of this issue?
I disable the refreshing script for now.

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony C. wrote