Re: how to record labor hours spent on a project

Re: how to record labor hours spent on a project

Dale Scott
Hi Phil and Exon, I'm glad to hear your interest and I'm sorry for taking so
long to reply.

Phil, I don't yet fully understand your requirements spec[1], but if I
understand you correctly it seems there are two potential strategies for
capturing time and collecting into projects using the current WebERP.

Strategy 1. Use a manufactured Item (i.e. a part number) to model a project.
Create a part number for each project, and use a work order to collect the
labor required to produce the item (project). As many labor type items can
be created as necessary, and a labor type can be defined when a stock
category is defined for a stock type - which allows for GL entries to
recover labor (CR a P&L account and DR WIP) when there is an issue of this
labor to a work order. These labor items can also be part of the bill of
material at a particular work center, and work centers can be mapped to
labor items. Having created a work order, you then issue materials and labor
to it and receive finished goods from it. When all the materials and labor
have been issued and the finished goods received from it the work order is
closed and the stock of the (unsold) finished items are revalued as
necessary.

Strategy 2. Use a Contract to model a project. webERP contract functionality
allows for entry of nominal items directly to a contract's cost, and stock
and labor can be issued to a contract work order. If necessary, multiple
contracts can be used with each contract a different section of the project
(e.g. prototype, software development...). Contracts can have dates
associated with them, as well as inter-dependencies, and could be presented
using a Gantt or PERT chart. For more details, see Phil's proposal[1].

I've mostly worked for companies doing their own engineering design, PLM and
project management, as well as manufacturing , which is probably why I
proposed Strategy 1 - a part-number and manufacturing centric process.
However, I think I conceptually understand Phil's proposal enough to
recognise the Contract approach could be equally suitable. I think which
process would be best for any given situation would depend on the type of
project and how much interaction the project has with part numbers, serial
numbers and manufacturing (prototypes and pre-production units).

I would like to propose "we" work through the two strategies and document
each the workflow for each one with screenshots. Essentially a graphic novel
version of WebERP (hmmm, that might be going too far ;-)). I still don't
understand WebERP well enough to work an end-to-end example, and think this
would be an excellent way to learn. I'll do the documenting, but I'll need
help with specifically what step comes next, so I hope you don't mind a
bunch of emails from me as I try and figure this out.

Do you have any suggestions on how we could work collaboratively? (assuming
of course you wanted to). I wouldn't mind trying out WordPress's
collaboration features. I started a blog post a week ago when I thought of
Strategy 1, and have a draft with initial setup and config screenshots, you
could login to review and edit. WordPress also has really convenient drag
and drop for media. I'm not sure if the mailing list would be suitable to
carry on a conversation that included embedded screenshot images. Assuming
you want to proceed, do you have an alternate proposal?

Regardless of the authoring tool, the final result would be yours also to
put on the WebERP website (wiki?), add to the WebERP user manual, or perhaps
add to your training material, presentation or handouts (assuming you
provide that service).

Regards,
Dale

[1] http://www.weberp.org/wiki/ProjectManagementPercentCompletion

---
Transparency with Trust
Blog: http://www.dalescott.net
LinkedIn: https://ca.linkedin.com/in/dalescott

Re: how to record labor hours spent on a project

phildaintree
Dale,

Well I am not sure Strategy 1 and 2 are mutually exclusive.

With what you term strategy 2 - I feel is an extension of contracts.
Projects - which contain multiple contracts - each of which have no sale
value and only the project has a total value. The contract functionality
just provides a way to capture the costs of both labour, stock and
nominal expenses for each "line" of the project. My proposal is really
much bigger than just how to account for labour. I am talking about
percentage of completion accounting as well.

The idea of the wiki is to share the spec for other input.

Phil

On 2016-10-09 10:51, Dale Scott wrote:

> [...]
> of course you wanted to). I wouldn't mind trying out WordPress's
> collaboration features. I started a blog post a week ago when I thought
> of
> Strategy 1, and have a draft with initial setup and config screenshots,
> you
> could login to review and edit. WordPress also has really convenient
> drag
> and drop for media. I'm not sure if the mailing list would be suitable
> carry on a conversation that included embedded screenshot images.
> Assuming
> you want to proceed, do you have an alternate proposal?
>
> Regardless of the authoring tool, the final result would be yours also
> put on the WebERP website (wiki?), add to the WebERP user manual, or
> perhaps
> add to your training material, presentation or handouts (assuming you

Hi Phil, I agree your contracts strategy will hit a lot of typical requirements, and covers much more than just project time, but I will need to work through the two approaches in detail before I really understand how they work. Why do you say the two strategies may not be mutually exclusive?

My username/password still works for the wiki, and I understand how a wiki can be convenient to share a text spec, but I've found wiki's aren't generally the most convenient when a lot of pictures need to be embedded. I looked for articles on the WebERP with images, but I only found articles with links to pictures hosted somewhere else (on the LogicWorks or some other file sharing website). I'll publish the blog post I already started as a work-in-progress and send a link, hopefully it will help clarify what I'm hoping to achieve. The finished article could be added to the WebERP wiki if you thought there was value.

On 2016-10-09 10:51, Dale Scott wrote:

> [...]
> of course you wanted to). I wouldn't mind trying out WordPress's
> collaboration features. I started a blog post a week ago when I thought
> of
> Strategy 1, and have a draft with initial setup and config screenshots,
> you
> could login to review and edit. WordPress also has really convenient
> drag
> and drop for media. I'm not sure if the mailing list would be suitable
> carry on a conversation that included embedded screenshot images.
> Assuming
> you want to proceed, do you have an alternate proposal?
>
> Regardless of the authoring tool, the final result would be yours also
> put on the WebERP website (wiki?), add to the WebERP user manual, or
> perhaps
> add to your training material, presentation or handouts (assuming you

Images on the wiki are possible...

see

http://www.weberp.org/wiki/ScreenShotUploads

But not super easy!! Point taken.

Phil

On 2016-10-09 14:37, Dale Scott wrote:

> Hi Phil, I agree your contracts strategy will hit a lot of typical
> requirements, and covers much more than just project time, but I will
> need to work through the two approaches in detail before I really
> understand how they work. Why do you say the two strategies may not be
> mutually exclusive?
>
> My username/password still works for the wiki, and I understand how a
> wiki can be convenient to share a text spec, but I've found wiki's
> aren't generally the most convenient when a lot of pictures need to be
> embedded. I looked for articles on the WebERP with images, but I only
> found articles with links to pictures hosted somewhere else (on the
> LogicWorks or some other file sharing website). I'll publish the blog
> post I already started as a work-in-progress and send a link,
> hopefully it will help clarify what I'm hoping to achieve. The
> finished article could be added to the WebERP wiki if you thought
> there was value.
>
> Dale

Here is the draft blog post I started for managing projects in WebERP

http://www.dalescott.net/using-weberp-for-project-management/