Quantcast

Use of .inc vs .inc.php

Rafael Chacón
Hello,

Anyone has any reason to keep the  ".inc" extension?

For security reasons (see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7129842/what-is-inc-and-why-to-use-it ), it is recommend to use ".inc.php" or ".php".

For simplicity, I prefer to use ".php" instead of ".inc.php" to replace "inc", because all files to be included by other PHP files are inside the ~/includes/" directory.

Comments, opinions, suggestions?

Best regards, Rafael.

Re: Use of .inc vs .inc.php

rfthomas
There already are some files in the various included packages with the .inc.php extension.

We use WinMerge to compare changes between versions and allow for integration of our specific modifications.  Making bulk extension changes would make the upgrading process much more time consuming.  If such a change is being made a new major version number needs to be established.

The change can't be done merely by overlaying the current version since such would leave behind the .inc files and no security hole has been closed.

Web server security needs to be properly set if the pages are being served on the internet.

Bob Thomas