[WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

weberp
Was it Chris who did some stuff with a flash class for creating graphs.
I have been working on another system using jpgraph - this would sure make for
some great reports native to webERP. Is anyone keen to help with coding up
some?

Has anyone else done anything with these things?
Is the jpgraph lisence a worry for anyone if I start including it?

Re: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

Al-4-2
jpgraph is great. I have a few libs wrapped round it, alas not weberp
based, they could probably be easily adapted.

On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 23:00 +1200, Phil Daintree wrote:
> Was it Chris who did some stuff with a flash class for creating graphs.
> I have been working on another system using jpgraph - this would sure make for
> some great reports native to webERP. Is anyone keen to help with coding up
> some?
>
> Has anyone else done anything with these things?
> Is the jpgraph lisence a worry for anyone if I start including it?

RE: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

Chris Bice
Ill help you code some of the graphical Reports.

Was it Chris who did some stuff with a flash class for creating graphs.
I have been working on another system using jpgraph - this would sure make for
some great reports native to webERP. Is anyone keen to help with coding up
some?

Has anyone else done anything with these things?
Is the jpgraph lisence a worry for anyone if I start including it?

All email sent and received is scanned for Virus Content (McAfee Virus Engine)

Re: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

emdeex
"JpGraph is released under a dual license. QPL 1.0 (Qt Free Licensee) For non-commercial, open-source or educational use and JpGraph Professional License for commercial use. The professional version also includes additional features and support."

Although jpgraph is very nice, I would recommend looking at alternatives because of the license restrictions for commercial use, which would effect almost all WebERP users.  By starting an opensource collaboration to build jpgraph charts, we would be *almost* locking WebERP users into a commercial agreement with Jpgraph.

Instead, lets look at GPL graphing classes like;

Java:
http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/index.php

Perl:
http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/GDGraph/GD/Graph.html

PHP:
http://www.phplot.com/

On 9/28/05, Chris Bice <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ill help you code some of the graphical Reports.

Re: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

Shane Gibson-2
Not sure what they use but the SugarCRM guys have got a nice graphing
engine in their open source product.

Cheers
Shane

__________________________
Shane Gibson
Solution  Director
Portali Ltd

P.O Box 5691
Lambton  Quay
Wellington
New Zealand

http:\\www.portali.co.nz\

--  Enabling your Customers, Suppliers and Employees.  --

> "JpGraph is released under a dual license. QPL 1.0 (Qt Free
> Licensee)<http://www.trolltech.com/developer/licensing/qpl.html>For
> non-commercial, open-source or educational use and JpGraph
> Professional
> License for commercial use. The professional
> version<http://www.aditus.nu/jpgraph/proversion.php>also includes
> additional features and support."
>
> Although jpgraph is very nice, I would recommend looking at alternatives
> because of the license restrictions for commercial use, which would effect
> almost all WebERP users. By starting an opensource collaboration to build
> jpgraph charts, we would be *almost* locking WebERP users into a
> commercial
> agreement with Jpgraph.
>
> Instead, lets look at GPL graphing classes like;
>
> Java:
> http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/index.php
>
> Perl:
> http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/htdocs/GDGraph/GD/Graph.html
>
> PHP:
> http://www.phplot.com/
>
> On 9/28/05, Chris Bice <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ill help you code some of the graphical Reports.

kiang
1. SugarCRM is using jpgraph.
2. QPL licensed software could be used in open source software, even
if it's in commercial purpose. :)

--
Finjon Kiang

On 9/29/05, Shane Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not sure what they use but the SugarCRM guys have got a nice graphing
> engine in their open source product.
>
> Cheers
> Shane

Re: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

emdeex
I always understood jpgraphs intention was that if you used it in any commercial context, then you would be required to pay the guy for a license.  I've used jpgraph commercially before, and we understood we had to pay him.

The developer writes on his website (my bold):

"If you plan on using JpGraph in a commercial context you will need to acquire the professional license. Commercial use is for example if you use JpGraph on a site to provide a service for paying customers or for example if you are using JpGraph in an intranet to provide support for internal business processes, i.e. in benefit for a commercial company.

In short, if you use JpGraph where you have an economic advantage (either through paying customers or improving internal business processes) this most likely falls under commercial use."

On 9/29/05, Finjon Kiang <[hidden email]> wrote:
1. SugarCRM is using jpgraph.
2. QPL licensed software could be used in open source software, even
if it's in commercial purpose. :)

--
Finjon Kiang

On 9/29/05, Shane Gibson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not sure what they use but the SugarCRM guys have got a nice graphing
> engine in their open source product.
>
> Cheers
> Shane

Re: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

Matthew Campbell

I know dotproject & netoffice both use jpgraph in there, and so does
vtiger (I think sugarcrm use it on their open source version and it seems
they use flash on their pro version). So does that mean anyone who is
using vtiger/dotproject/netoffice for commercial use should be paying
jpgraph licenses?

Hmm.. I better be checking that one out.

Has anyone thought about using the ming library with something like
phpcharts for flash based reports? Or is anything flash considered a no-no
here?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpchart
http://sourceforge.net/projects/albertliu
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ming

if we really wanted to get funky, we could use http://www.amfphp.org/ for
flash remoting and have realtime charts. Unfortunately, I have had neither
the time nor the need as yet to use web-erp or fully investigate any of
the above, but it was something that sparked my interest a while back when
looking at graphical reports.

Matthew

Re: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

Matthew Campbell

Just to add to my original post, I was thinking something like this

http://www.flash-db.com/serviceHelp/flashCharts.php

Cheers

Matthew

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:39:42 +1000, Matthew Campbell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know dotproject & netoffice both use jpgraph in there, and so does
> vtiger (I think sugarcrm use it on their open source version and it
> seems they use flash on their pro version). So does that mean anyone who
> is using vtiger/dotproject/netoffice for commercial use should be paying
> jpgraph licenses?
>
> Hmm.. I better be checking that one out.
>
> Has anyone thought about using the ming library with something like
> phpcharts for flash based reports? Or is anything flash considered a
> no-no here?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpchart
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/albertliu
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ming
>
> if we really wanted to get funky, we could use http://www.amfphp.org/
> for flash remoting and have realtime charts. Unfortunately, I have had
> neither the time nor the need as yet to use web-erp or fully investigate
> any of the above, but it was something that sparked my interest a while
> back when looking at graphical reports.

Hope it

> Matthew

Matthew Campbell
http://www.timbuckley.org

Re: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

weberp

Just trying to see the problems with this before they hits us later on...

Are there any thoughts about:

1. The files produced to make the animations are probably going to be bigger
than the .jpg or .png files transmitted by phplot or jpgraph - thus a
performance penalty.

2. The GD engine is more widely installed on web servers than the ming
extensions so many using 3rd party hosting might be frustrated.

3. It doesn't look like phpcharts is actively maintained and developed. phplot
is.

I guess you can see how I'm swinging here. phpcharts are cooler - the examples
I've seen are certainly better looking than the gd driven jpgraph and phplot
although there are plenty of tweaks those with an eye to beauty could apply.

Appreciate any input or experiences here.

Phil

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:28, Matthew Campbell wrote:

> Just to add to my original post, I was thinking something like this
>
> http://www.flash-db.com/serviceHelp/flashCharts.php
>
> Cheers
>
> Matthew
>
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:39:42 +1000, Matthew Campbell
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I know dotproject & netoffice both use jpgraph in there, and so does
> > vtiger (I think sugarcrm use it on their open source version and it
> > seems they use flash on their pro version). So does that mean anyone who
> > is using vtiger/dotproject/netoffice for commercial use should be paying
> > jpgraph licenses?
> >
> > Hmm.. I better be checking that one out.
> >
> > Has anyone thought about using the ming library with something like
> > phpcharts for flash based reports? Or is anything flash considered a
> > no-no here?
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpchart
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/albertliu
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ming
> >
> > if we really wanted to get funky, we could use http://www.amfphp.org/
> > for flash remoting and have realtime charts. Unfortunately, I have had
> > neither the time nor the need as yet to use web-erp or fully investigate
> > any of the above, but it was something that sparked my interest a while
> > back when looking at graphical reports.
>
> Hope it
>
> > Matthew

webERP Project Admin

Re: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

emdeex
Flash charts are cool eye-candy, I like them.  But they don't print out well, and you can't put them in a PDF very easily.  So for bang-for-buck, I think a standard phplot jpeg/gif would be best.

On 9/30/05, Phil Daintree <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just trying to see the problems with this before they hits us later on...

Are there any thoughts about:

1. The files produced to make the animations are probably going to be bigger
than the .jpg or .png files transmitted by phplot or jpgraph - thus a
performance penalty.

2. The GD engine is more widely installed on web servers than the ming
extensions so many using 3rd party hosting might be frustrated.

3. It doesn't look like phpcharts is actively maintained and developed. phplot
is.

I guess you can see how I'm swinging here. phpcharts are cooler - the examples
I've seen are certainly better looking than the gd driven jpgraph and phplot
although there are plenty of tweaks those with an eye to beauty could apply.

Appreciate any input or experiences here.

Phil

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:28, Matthew Campbell wrote:

> Just to add to my original post, I was thinking something like this
>
> http://www.flash-db.com/serviceHelp/flashCharts.php
>
> Cheers
>
> Matthew
>
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 22:39:42 +1000, Matthew Campbell
>
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I know dotproject & netoffice both use jpgraph in there, and so does
> > vtiger (I think sugarcrm use it on their open source version and it
> > seems they use flash on their pro version). So does that mean anyone who
> > is using vtiger/dotproject/netoffice for commercial use should be paying
> > jpgraph licenses?
> >
> > Hmm.. I better be checking that one out.
> >
> > Has anyone thought about using the ming library with something like
> > phpcharts for flash based reports? Or is anything flash considered a
> > no-no here?
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpchart
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/albertliu
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ming
> >
> > if we really wanted to get funky, we could use http://www.amfphp.org/
> > for flash remoting and have realtime charts. Unfortunately, I have had
> > neither the time nor the need as yet to use web-erp or fully investigate
> > any of the above, but it was something that sparked my interest a while
> > back when looking at graphical reports.
>
> Hope it
>
> > Matthew

webERP Project Admin

Re: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

braverock
On Thursday 29 September 2005 09:47 pm, emdeex wrote:
> Flash charts are cool eye-candy, I like them. But they don't print out
> well, and you can't put them in a PDF very easily. So for bang-for-buck, I
> think a standard phplot jpeg/gif would be best.

jpgraph should also be on the list as simple to program, easy to display on
line or print charts.

   - Brian

> On 9/30/05, Phil Daintree <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Just trying to see the problems with this before they hits us later on...
> >
> > Are there any thoughts about:
> >
> > 1. The files produced to make the animations are probably going to be
> > bigger
> > than the .jpg or .png files transmitted by phplot or jpgraph - thus a
> > performance penalty.
> >
> > 2. The GD engine is more widely installed on web servers than the ming
> > extensions so many using 3rd party hosting might be frustrated.
> >
> > 3. It doesn't look like phpcharts is actively maintained and developed.
> > phplot
> > is.
> >
> > I guess you can see how I'm swinging here. phpcharts are cooler - the
> > examples
> > I've seen are certainly better looking than the gd driven jpgraph and
> > phplot
> > although there are plenty of tweaks those with an eye to beauty could
> > apply.
> >
> > Appreciate any input or experiences here.
> >
> > Phil
> >
> > On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:28, Matthew Campbell wrote:
> > > Just to add to my original post, I was thinking something like this
> > >
> > > http://www.flash-db.com/serviceHelp/flashCharts.php
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Matthew

> > who

> > paying

> > investigate

> > while

> > > Hope it

> > --
> > Phil Daintree
> > webERP Project Admin

Re: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

Matthew Campbell

I certainly agree with Phil and Eemdex's points about ming and flash. My
last experience with trying to get ming and phpcharts to work didn't go so
well (I am a sysadmin not a developer). And so I am certainly in agreeance
there. Still though, I thought them worth a mention for the cool factor.

Re: [WebERP-developers] Graphical reporting

hj2004
Hi All,

Graphical reporting is surely a something nice, but I hope we won't make
it a priority above all else. I would prefer to make the current release
more stable and bullet proof. Or, even go further to add more feature in
manufacturing stuff, e.g. MRP, etc. ;)

Rgds,
Hindra

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:39, Matthew Campbell wrote:
> I know dotproject & netoffice both use jpgraph in there, and so does
> vtiger (I think sugarcrm use it on their open source version and it seems
> they use flash on their pro version). So does that mean anyone who is
> using vtiger/dotproject/netoffice for commercial use should be paying
> jpgraph licenses?
>
> Hmm.. I better be checking that one out.

Thats how I read the jpgraph lisence - I am thinking phplot is the answer
here.

On Friday 30 September 2005 02:17 am, Phil Daintree wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:39, Matthew Campbell wrote:
> > I know dotproject & netoffice both use jpgraph in there, and so does
> > vtiger (I think sugarcrm use it on their open source version and it seems
> > they use flash on their pro version). So does that mean anyone who is
> > using vtiger/dotproject/netoffice for commercial use should be paying
> > jpgraph licenses?
> >
> > Hmm.. I better be checking that one out.
>
> Thats how I read the jpgraph lisence - I am thinking phplot is the answer
> here.

Our lawyer said JPGraph was fine for inclusion in XRMS CRM. Your mileage may
vary.

As I understand it, the JPGraph folx are fine with and in fact encourage
inclusion in open source code.  The QT license was written to encourage open
source development, but prohibit inclusion in commercial *closed source*
software without paying the developers (e.g. the jpgraph folx).

So, using the open-source project in your own business is not a violation of
the license.  Using the open-source project in a commercial hosting setting
is a gray area, and will be governed differently in different jurisdictions.
Using the QT-licensed code in a commercial software application, like
SugarCRM Pro, is a violation of the QT license unless you pay the developers
of the QT-licensed code.

The QT license is simply more explicit about allowed used than the GPL.  The
Open Software License, which XRMS is dual-licensed under, makes explicit the
open source clause for hosting providers and ASP's.

WebERP is licensed under the GPL, so is open-source all the way through
anybody who distributes it.  I'll note that the lawyers for some linux
distributions are also OK with distributing jpgraph, so their interpretation
matches the one we got from our lawyer.

Regards,

   - Brian