Quantcast

how to prevent access during upgrade

Dale Scott
How do you prevent user access when you require sole access to the webERP app or the database server for some reason. E.g. upgrade, patch, restore database backup, etc.

Is there any built-in facility for dealing with "temporarily out of order, please come back later." Can anyone share a procedure that works for them? Is anyone bringing up a new server, synchronizing databases, and cutting over live? Not that I want to, but I'd like to know in case I need to some day.

Cheers!
Dale

Re: how to prevent access during upgrade

gsavix
hi. see manual docs, source and you will see that weberp alreary have flags that controls when update (soon after login) and if is setup in config panel for automatic update.
in my installs i use .htaccess file for setup a message with aditional locale messages for restricted access (only users that have user/password created for apache2 .htaccess) can reach on weberp login screen.

--
gilberto dos santos alves
+5511986465049

How do you prevent user access when you require sole access to the webERP app or the database server for some reason. E.g. upgrade, patch, restore database backup, etc.

Is there any built-in facility for dealing with "temporarily out of order, please come back later." Can anyone share a procedure that works for them? Is anyone bringing up a new server, synchronizing databases, and cutting over live? Not that I want to, but I'd like to know in case I need to some day.

Cheers!
Dale

Re: how to prevent access during upgrade

Yes there is a configuration (webERP/System Parameters.php) setting for this - under perform database maintenance at logon

Logic Works Ltd - +64 (0)275 567890
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
On 15/03/17 14:50, Dale Scott wrote:
How do you prevent user access when you require sole access to the webERP app or the database server for some reason. E.g. upgrade, patch, restore database backup, etc.

Is there any built-in facility for dealing with "temporarily out of order, please come back later." Can anyone share a procedure that works for them? Is anyone bringing up a new server, synchronizing databases, and cutting over live? Not that I want to, but I'd like to know in case I need to some day.

Cheers!
Dale

Re: how to prevent access during upgrade

Dale Scott

Thanks Gilberto and Phil.

Can you say anything about how big a deal it is to run OPTIMIZE TABLE periodically? How “bad” does it get if you don’t OPTIMIZE TABLE periodically, and in what sort of context? (e.g. number of users/items/orders). How long can it take OPTMIZE TABLES take to run? I’m aware I’m asking a loaded question and “it depends”, but any generalities? Fwiw, my server is an old dual-core desktop with 8GB RAM. I just forced DB_Maintenance to run now and the delay until “fully logged in” was long enough I might have appreciated a “sorry for the delay” notice.

Also, the manual recommends scheduling DB_Maintenance as a cron job, but doesn’t say how. I can use wget and a URL to execute a *.php file, but how do you execute just one function from within an *.inc file? Or would you put a mysql command directly into the cron table (with the query given as an argument to the mysql command)?

Thanks,
Dale

Re: how to prevent access during upgrade

gsavix
hi. global providers already take care for this kind of infra-estructure. hostgator.com are very ok with shared hosts only about US 7,00 by month.
Any way, you do not need run any concerns about performance related about mysql 5.5 or 5.6 or 5.7. for local pc or intranet pc allways pain is pc or server that run this main if are running all this on windows. triple checks.

--
gilberto dos santos alves
+5511986465049