how to record labor hours spent on a project

how to record labor hours spent on a project

Dale Scott

Hello everyone, I would like to record the hours employees spend on various internal projects as well as holidays, sick time, etc., so that I can get a big picture for where the time has gone – essentially a timesheet system. I get the idea from the manual that I could create a part number for each project, and use work orders to record labor as if the project was a production part. Is this possible? Is it the best way? Are there other ways?

I’d really appreciate any tips or anecdotal stories.

Thanks,
Dale

Re: how to record labor hours spent on a project

phildaintree
Hi Dale,

> I could create
> a part number for each project, and use work orders to record labor as
> if the project was a production part. Is this possible?

Yes that's correct... you can create any number of labour type items ...
the stock type when you define a stock category allows for a labour type
to be defined - this then allows for GL entries to recover labour (CR a
P & L account/DR WIP) when there is an issue of this labour to a work
order. These labour items can also be part of the bill of material at a
particular work centre.

Not sure of any other way... a timesheet interface would be cool to put
time into works orders with employees in particular work centres perhaps
mapped to labour items.

Phil

On 2016-09-27 13:32, Dale Scott wrote:

> Hello everyone, I would like to record the hours employees spend on
> various internal projects as well as holidays, sick time, etc., so
> that I can get a big picture for where the time has gone - essentially
> a timesheet system. I get the idea from the manual that I could create
> a part number for each project, and use work orders to record labor as
> if the project was a production part. Is this possible? Is it the best
> way? Are there other ways?
>
> I'd really appreciate any tips or anecdotal stories.
>
> Thanks,
> Dale

Re: how to record labor hours spent on a project

Dale Scott

>> I could create
>> a part number for each project, and use work orders to record labor as
>> if the project was a production part. Is this possible?
>
> Yes that's correct... you can create any number of labour type items ...
> the stock type when you define a stock category allows for a labour type
> to be defined - this then allows for GL entries to recover labour (CR a
> P & L account/DR WIP) when there is an issue of this labour to a work
> order. These labour items can also be part of the bill of material at a
> particular work centre.

Hi Phil, thanks for your comments. To experiment, I created a project (manufactured stock item) and a labour stock item, then created a manufacturing BOM for the project with the labour item only. However I can't figure out how to use work orders. I've tried creating a work order for the project, but it's not clear if it was in fact created, or what the next step is. I'll post how far I've got to the forum with screen shots if it would help. My goal is a documented procedure or HowTo, in whatever form would be most useful to WebERP.

> Not sure of any other way... a timesheet interface would be cool to put
> time into works orders with employees in particular work centres perhaps
> mapped to labour items.

Having separate labour for each work center might be useful for work work capacity planning.

Are you aware of any successful timesheet integrations with WebERP? Do you think such a feature would be used at all? I think some basic level of "HRM" together with basic level of project management capability could be really useful to smaller organizations needing simple integrated low-cost tools, although this may be too specialized a use to have significant interest. I saw discussion of time sheets in the mailing list, but only concept - no working code.

Re: how to record labor hours spent on a project

phildaintree
Well having created a work order, you then issue materials and labour to
it and receive finished goods from it. When all the materials and labour
have been issued and the finished goods received from it the work order
is closed and the stock of the (unsold) finished items are revalued as
necessary.

Yes  I do think a timesheet interface would be cool to put time into
works orders with employees in particular work centres perhaps mapped to
labour items.

I have for the past few years ... now working for a project engineering
business wanted to have a project which can consist of any number of
contracts.... webERP contract functionality allows for entry of nominal
items directly to the contract cost as well as issuing stock and labour
to a contract work order... each contract would be for a specific
section of the project and you could get into timings and which
contracts need to be done before subsequent "contracts" and a resultant
gaant chart project plan.

I have started a spec describing this fairly extensive development.

http://www.weberp.org/wiki/ProjectManagementPercentCompletion

Since working for this engineering business where some contracts
represent a significant part of the turnover, percentage completion
accounting has become my new world and it would be cool to build this
into webERP too - a MASSIVE undertaking ... but building up for a new
challenge. If only there were a sponsor for this!!

Logic Works Ltd - +64 (0)275 567890
http://www.logicworks.co.nz

On 28/09/16 20:21, Dale Scott wrote:

>>> I could create
>>> a part number for each project, and use work orders to record labor as
>>> if the project was a production part. Is this possible?
>> Yes that's correct... you can create any number of labour type items ...
>> the stock type when you define a stock category allows for a labour type
>> to be defined - this then allows for GL entries to recover labour (CR a
>> P & L account/DR WIP) when there is an issue of this labour to a work
>> order. These labour items can also be part of the bill of material at a
>> particular work centre.
> Hi Phil, thanks for your comments. To experiment, I created a project (manufactured stock item) and a labour stock item, then created a manufacturing BOM for the project with the labour item only. However I can't figure out how to use work orders. I've tried creating a work order for the project, but it's not clear if it was in fact created, or what the next step is. I'll post how far I've got to the forum with screen shots if it would help. My goal is a documented procedure or HowTo, in whatever form would be most useful to WebERP.
>
>> Not sure of any other way... a timesheet interface would be cool to put
>> time into works orders with employees in particular work centres perhaps
>> mapped to labour items.
> Having separate labour for each work center might be useful for work work capacity planning.
>
> Are you aware of any successful timesheet integrations with WebERP? Do you think such a feature would be used at all? I think some basic level of "HRM" together with basic level of project management capability could be really useful to smaller organizations needing simple integrated low-cost tools, although this may be too specialized a use to have significant interest. I saw discussion of time sheets in the mailing list, but only concept - no working code.

Re: how to record labor hours spent on a project

Dear all,

             HRM is a important part in the real world.  It's very important for cost control and management in today's business. If anyone has expertise of this area, please bring out a spec, then we can discuss and fulfill it. Cost control is a key in some business today. If we can have a concise and powerful solution of this part, it'll help lots of existed or potential users.