[webERP-users] setting up tax - again!

Paul Kelly-2

I still cant get to grips with tax setup, even using a 3.03 test system.

  • I have entered details into the each 4 areas in the setup menu
  • The item is set up for tax
  • The location is setup for tax
  • This always leaves the ‘taxgrouptaxes’ table empty
  • When I invoice from a s/o, the tax fields remain empty!

Example data:

/*Data for the table `taxauthorities` */

insert into `taxauthorities` values (1,'UK VAT',2310,2300,'','','','');

/*Data for the table `taxauthrates` */

insert into `taxauthrates` values (1,1,1,0),(1,1,2,0.05),(1,1,3,0.175),(1,1,4,0);

/*Data for the table `taxcategories` */

insert into `taxcategories` values (1,'Zero Rated'),(2,'Lower Rate'),(3,'Standard Rate'),(4,'Exempt');

/*Data for the table `taxgroups` */

insert into `taxgroups` values (1,'UK HMRC');

/*Data for the table `taxgrouptaxes` */

/*Data for the table `taxprovinces` */

insert into `taxprovinces` values (1,'UK');

Am I doomed to live my life in 3.01 land?

Paul

Re: [webERP-users] setting up tax - again!

eculp@unixmania.com
Quoting Paul Kelly <[hidden email]>:

> I still cant get to grips with tax setup, even using a 3.03 test system.
>
> * I have entered details into the each 4 areas in the setup menu
> * The item is set up for tax
> * The location is setup for tax
> * This always leaves the 'taxgrouptaxes' table empty
> * When I invoice from a s/o, the tax fields remain empty!

I'm a bit confused as to how you set it up.

I'll go through what I did to set up and test three companies this
morning with one weberp303 and with no real problems.  The first was
with weberp-demo.sql that will be for testing with data. The second I
dumped the data from a 3.02 site and created a new company, database
and entered the data with a simple mysql company < company dump.  Then
did a mysql company < upgrade3.02-3.03.sql and it seems to work fine.
The third company is for me and will also work for testing issues but
this time I used weberp-new.sql to create it.  It has just a little bit
of information that helps keep me from forgeting something.  Of course
in the first and last cases I commented out with -- lines 12-22 in the
sql scripts and created the database with mysqladmin.  They all work
fine.  I added a client, inventory items, tax stuff, company and user
configuration to the last installation.  Basically I just substituted
my real information, tax rates, etc. for the data that comes with
weberp-new.sql and even used it to invoice a client.  I will be making
additional changes but everything seems to work as expected, except for
the fact that I had to use php4, which is wierd.   I tried one of my
servers with php5 after answering an email from Phil.  This afternoon
I'm going to try php5 again because I'm sure Phil is right and I must
be missing something in the php configuration or installation although
the same is running the complete development version of horde with no
issues for a long time.

Please add the specifics to what you did that didn't work or give one
of my lazy ways from above a try.

good luck,

ed

> Example data:
>
> /*Data for the table `taxauthorities` */
>

> insert into `taxauthorities` values (1,'UK VAT',2310,2300,'','','','');
>

> /*Data for the table `taxauthrates` */
>

> insert into `taxauthrates` values
> (1,1,1,0),(1,1,2,0.05),(1,1,3,0.175),(1,1,4,0);
>

> /*Data for the table `taxcategories` */
>

> insert into `taxcategories` values (1,'Zero Rated'),(2,'Lower
> Rate'),(3,'Standard Rate'),(4,'Exempt');
>

> /*Data for the table `taxgroups` */
>

> insert into `taxgroups` values (1,'UK HMRC');
>

> /*Data for the table `taxgrouptaxes` */
>

> /*Data for the table `taxprovinces` */
>

> insert into `taxprovinces` values (1,'UK');
>

> Am I doomed to live my life in 3.01 land?
>

> Paul

RE: [webERP-users] setting up tax - again!

Paul Kelly-2
I will try that in the morning, thanks.

I've done a clean install using php 4.4.0 and mysql  4.1.13 (and that may be
the issue), cleared the tax relevant part of the db and entered relevant UK
bits, then changing items and locations.

Voila - problems!

I have also tried on a hosted server, but they have even older versions of
components!

Arrgghh.  3.01 it is, then!

Re: [webERP-users] setting up tax - again!

weberp
On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 08:56, Paul Kelly wrote:
> I still cant get to grips with tax setup, even using a 3.03 test system.
>
> * I have entered details into the each 4 areas in the setup menu
> * The item is set up for tax
> * The location is setup for tax
> * This always leaves the 'taxgrouptaxes' table empty

Ah-ha the missing step is to create the tax authorities that are members of
the tax group you defined.

eg. You have a customer branch that is in tax group 1 - say UK VAT.
The tax authorities that are applicable to this tax group are only the one tax
authority and that is the good old UK Inland Revenue - VAT. Set up this tax
authority and the rates for it for all the defined tax categories normally
luxury items, taxable, exempt and zero rated. Now add this tax authority to
the UK VAT tax group - in this case its just a tax group with only one tax
authority - the major development was to allow for several tax authorities to
be in the same tax group.

HTH

Phil

> * When I invoice from a s/o, the tax fields remain empty!
>

> Example data:
>
> /*Data for the table `taxauthorities` */
>

> insert into `taxauthorities` values (1,'UK VAT',2310,2300,'','','','');
>

> /*Data for the table `taxauthrates` */
>

> insert into `taxauthrates` values
> (1,1,1,0),(1,1,2,0.05),(1,1,3,0.175),(1,1,4,0);
>

> /*Data for the table `taxcategories` */
>

> insert into `taxcategories` values (1,'Zero Rated'),(2,'Lower
> Rate'),(3,'Standard Rate'),(4,'Exempt');
>

> /*Data for the table `taxgroups` */
>

> insert into `taxgroups` values (1,'UK HMRC');
>

> /*Data for the table `taxgrouptaxes` */
>

> /*Data for the table `taxprovinces` */
>

> insert into `taxprovinces` values (1,'UK');
>

> Am I doomed to live my life in 3.01 land?
>

> Paul

webERP Project Admin

RE: [webERP-users] setting up tax - again!

Paul Kelly-2
Phil,

I thought I had done this.

I have moved UK VAT from 'available taxes' to 'Assigned taxes', but this
still hasn't achieved anything.

I did think that it was due to the s/o being raised before the taxes were
set up correctly, so even entered a new one, which didn't make a difference!

I also think that the instructions still are not clear enough.  Once we have
resolved this, I am happy to try and cobble together some revised/additional
ones.  I think what is needed is a step by step guide on what to enter into
each field.

I have just noticed that in Tax Group, the assigned order is 0/Zero - should
this be 1?

Paul

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 08:56, Paul Kelly wrote:
> I still cant get to grips with tax setup, even using a 3.03 test system.
>
> * I have entered details into the each 4 areas in the setup menu
> * The item is set up for tax
> * The location is setup for tax
> * This always leaves the 'taxgrouptaxes' table empty

Ah-ha the missing step is to create the tax authorities that are members of
the tax group you defined.

eg. You have a customer branch that is in tax group 1 - say UK VAT.
The tax authorities that are applicable to this tax group are only the one
tax
authority and that is the good old UK Inland Revenue - VAT. Set up this tax
authority and the rates for it for all the defined tax categories normally
luxury items, taxable, exempt and zero rated. Now add this tax authority to
the UK VAT tax group - in this case its just a tax group with only one tax
authority - the major development was to allow for several tax authorities
be in the same tax group.

HTH

Re: [webERP-users] setting up tax - again!

weberp

If there is only one tax then this is ok to be 1 - if there are two or more
taxes then you have to define the order.

Hindra has pointed out an issue that looks like it might have been missed
looks like I need to patch a few things to get it right!

Sorry

Phil

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:19, Paul Kelly wrote:

> Phil,
>
> I thought I had done this.
>
> I have moved UK VAT from 'available taxes' to 'Assigned taxes', but this
> still hasn't achieved anything.
>
> I did think that it was due to the s/o being raised before the taxes were
> set up correctly, so even entered a new one, which didn't make a
> difference!
>
> I also think that the instructions still are not clear enough.  Once we
> have resolved this, I am happy to try and cobble together some
> revised/additional ones.  I think what is needed is a step by step guide on
> what to enter into each field.
>
> I have just noticed that in Tax Group, the assigned order is 0/Zero -
> should this be 1?
>
> Paul

webERP Project Admin

RE: [webERP-users] setting up tax - again!

Paul Kelly-2
OK, but how do I change it to 1 (short of going into the db)?  Or should I
wait until the patch is done?

If there is only one tax then this is ok to be 1 - if there are two or more
taxes then you have to define the order.

Hindra has pointed out an issue that looks like it might have been missed
looks like I need to patch a few things to get it right!

Sorry

Phil

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:19, Paul Kelly wrote:

> Phil,
>
> I thought I had done this.
>
> I have moved UK VAT from 'available taxes' to 'Assigned taxes', but this
> still hasn't achieved anything.
>
> I did think that it was due to the s/o being raised before the taxes were
> set up correctly, so even entered a new one, which didn't make a
> difference!
>
> I also think that the instructions still are not clear enough.  Once we
> have resolved this, I am happy to try and cobble together some
> revised/additional ones.  I think what is needed is a step by step guide
on

> what to enter into each field.
>
> I have just noticed that in Tax Group, the assigned order is 0/Zero -
> should this be 1?
>
> Paul

webERP Project Admin

Re: [webERP-users] setting up tax - again!

weberp
You can only change the sequence if there is more than one taxauthority in the
tax group ... naturally the sequence is unimportant if there is only one
taxauthority in the tax group.

If you add another tax authority to the tax group you will see the options to
set the order of calculation - some crazy set ups also have tax charged on
top of the tax already charged by a taxauthority with a prior call - so the
sequence of calculation is important in these circumstances.

Phil

webERP Project Admin