Quantcast

why general ledger payment vs payment to a supplier ??

why general ledger payment vs payment to a supplier ??

Dale Scott
Hello list, when is a general ledger payment preferred to a payment to a supplier, or vice versa? I read the manual, but I don't understand why. If it makes any difference, I'm looking for the simplest overall procedure

I'm trying to follow a full purchasing cycle but the accounting stuff has me stuck again. I created and and printed a PO, received the stock and created a vendor invoice. Now I want to pay the vendor, but I don't know if I should be making a "general ledger payment", or a "payment to a supplier".

Here's the screen I'm looking at: http://www.dalescott.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/weberp-item-90000001-00_purchase-023_payment_to_newark_from_bank_account.png

I'm documenting the big picture here: http://www.dalescott.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/weberp-item-90000001-00_purchase-023_payment_to_newark_from_bank_account.png

Thanks in advance,
Dale

---
Transparency with Trust
Blog: www.dalescott.net
Resume: www.linkedin.com/in/dalescott/

Re: why general ledger payment vs payment to a supplier ??

gsavix
hi. seems link 1 and 2 are same.
my suggestion is make payment using vendor payments and leave that module produce general ledger events.
IMHO this could give advantage from what type of vendors and material that you are using (row material, finish goods, workman ship, freight, taxes).

with this method you could use lot of payments to compose one bordero and then make one bank check for pay that bordero that sum all transactions for a day or a period or a sucursal.

regards.

--
gilberto dos santos alves
+55(11)9-8646-5049

Hello list, when is a general ledger payment preferred to a payment to a supplier, or vice versa? I read the manual, but I don't understand why. If it makes any difference, I'm looking for the simplest overall procedure

I'm trying to follow a full purchasing cycle but the accounting stuff has me stuck again. I created and and printed a PO, received the stock and created a vendor invoice. Now I want to pay the vendor, but I don't know if I should be making a "general ledger payment", or a "payment to a supplier".

Thanks in advance,
Dale

---
Transparency with Trust
Blog: www.dalescott.net
Resume: www.linkedin.com/in/dalescott/

Re: why general ledger payment vs payment to a supplier ??

phildaintree

if youve created the supplier/vendor and the purchase is for stock/inventory then you want the system to maintain stock/inventory values you must enter the supplier/vendor invoice - as this updates the PO and inventory with the actual cost. To do this you need to make the invoice match against purchase order receipts of stock/inventory by clicking on the purchase orders button. This shows all the purchase orders received items for you to select.

http://yourhost/webERP/doc/Manual/ManualContents.php?ViewTopic=AccountsPayable#SupplierInvoice

Given that you now have a supplier/vendor invoice in the system you will have it orphaned and showing a creditor amount unless you enter a creditor payment.

Payables->Select Supplier->Enter Invoice

Payables->Select Supplier->Enter Payment to

Logic Works Ltd - +64 (0)275 567890
http://www.logicworks.co.nz

http://sdm.link/oxford

Re: why general ledger payment vs payment to a supplier ??

Dale Scott
Hi Gilberto, thanks for the feedback, and sorry for the bad link. The "big picture" is http://www.dalescott.net/purchasing-using-weberp/

 I think I understand what you mean, but I need to work more examples to be sure. It was the manual that said there were two types, but looking at the form now, I still don't know how it makes a difference. Is the top part of the page the info for the cheque, and the bottom part pertains to where the money comes from?

Now that I have fixed the "big picture" link, could you give an example of something that would be appropriate for each field?

E.g. Cheque Reference? Cheque Narrative? Supplier Reference Notation? Supplier Narrative? Supplier Reference? Transaction Text?

---
Dale R. Scott, P.Eng.
Transparency with Trust